A life of love, laughter and romance

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Action!... .... And Cut!

I have a theory. I think writers are like actors. Where did I come up with such a harebrained idea as that? Well, it's quite simple. When we are writing, we feel what the character is going through. Knows their dreams and aspirations and deepest fears. But unlike actors we A. Probably can't act worth a dime and B. Have to be able to act out our one [wo]man show. *grins* We are all the characters, from the waiter to the hero/in. (ok, I can here a few Ewwws. But really it's not that bad. We don't stand in front of a mirror and check out our new imaginary physic. We are just in their heads...Or are they in ours...)

ANYwho, the reason I've said this is because after slaving over a hellish scene for 2 days I found myself unable to think of how she would react to this new information. Not to give my story away I'm going to make this up.

How would you react if someone told you, you were really an alien sent to earth to kill the human race? That you had tentacles and stuff. Disbelief? Yep. Horror? Yep. Logic it out of you. They are clearly wrong. But what would happen if your tentacles started to pop out and kill people? Horror? Yep.

Eventually, she is going to have to accept she is a killing alien. But how do I get to there? I've NEVER been a killing alien. So, hence my problem.

The scene I did was just bad. After it all I realized it was the wrong place for her to have A. A revelation and B. To readily accept it now. It was disappointing, but I decided to get rid of it. 11pages out the door and completely unusable. So back to the drawing board and reworking it. I believe this is going to work in my favor, even though it did cost me a few tears of frustartion. *grins*
--------------oOo--------------


5 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Your post is so true! I rather think of us as actors instead of having multiple personalities! LOL!

And as for the scene you had to get rid of, I hope you literally didn’t get rid of it. Keep it if you can, you never know when it may come in handy.

And even though you've never been a murderous alien, I've never been to Scotland, given birth or had sex in a elevator (yet) but I've lived each and every one of those experiences though my characters.

It'll come to you. It may not be today, tomorrow or the next day, but one thing I've learned about the worlds and people we give creation to, they are as loyal to us as we are to them.

Good luck, from what I've read you aren't going to need it.

Shawn

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's where that "write what you know" mantra really slams the proverbial brick wall, isn't it? I'm sure you'll work through it, though. Sounds like you're well on your way.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Jodie said...

Thanks guys.

I'm working this particular thing out pantster style. You know, rediscovering my roots and all *grins*

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Hockey breakaway animation http://www.timesharesale0.info/Twiztid-concerta.html articles about teens and cosmetic surgery Consumer reports jogging strollers

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home