A life of love, laughter and romance

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Research and more

All right, after a bit of thought - I've FINALLY come up with a subject. Research. We all know we have to do it and in the end it can be quite fun but I have a new respect for contemporary writers. See, having written 2 historicals (both around the same era) I have a wealth of information. But you know what, the stuff is pretty much the same in them since they are at the same location. The titles, the address, types of clothes, food and day to day living. Now those things are researched and now sit in my mind so I can write on the most part without stopping.

But contemp (even para contemp) offers its own set of challenges. We all know the general day to day stuff but if I want to write about something in Los Angeles I have to do research to know what it looks like. Professions and even culture for every book has to be done. Everything starts pretty much anew and you have to get your structure right.

So really, I guess if I look at it, research is research and although easier to stick with it being set in New York all the time and having a main character that is a dentist (for example) we can't always do that in contemps. Things have to change, readers want something more -- so different locations and careers come into play. Not like the usual Lords and Ladies from my Historicals set in London eh?

DON'T FORGET YOU CAN WIN A FRESHWATER PEARL NECKLACE!! CHECK OUT THE DETAILS ON MY WEBSITE OR CLICK ON MY BLOG POST: win a pearl necklace
--------------oOo--------------


4 Comments:

Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

I have a novel that deals with several southern states. I've traveled those states and still had to research things about the places I've been! LOL!

But really, I love history, so when it comes to any kind of research, I truly enjoy doing it.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Charli Cole said...

I'm also finding research has to be done in just about every setting you choose.

And I believe this has to be done if you want to "capture the vein", as I call it--create a pervading impression on your readers in order to draw them into the world where your story is taking place.

My first historical was quite difficult to write at times...because I had to create the history...since it was a fictional country.

Country fruit, country flower, country song, landmarks, geography (had to measure up to surrounding areas), climate, etc. And that not only required a great deal of research into my own imagination...but a great deal of research into countries that "supposedly" surrounded my country.

Yet, I was sort of jaded with the common European countries used as settings for historicals and wanted to be innovative. For, readers are looking for something different.

No matter where I decide to set my story...even in a place that actually exists...I still always try to find a way to make it my own.

And after what I've read so far...from your novel...you won't have any trouble making anything your own or drawing readers into your world.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jodie said...

History does have some interesting things, plus it's abundant on the net and in the libraries.

Thanks Cali, *grin*

Making a fantasy world is fun.
when I first started writing I started with a fanstasy sci-fi since that was the genre I wanted to do - but I abandoned that for Romance - since I read both equally I felt romance was something I'd enoy a whole lot more. And I was right. I hope to write a fantasy romance one day 2.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

Really? I think History is waaay harder! And the history buffs call you on it if you're wrong about something. Good luck with the contemp/paranormal.

Isn't my brother an ass? LOL.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home