A life of love, laughter and romance

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Opening Hooks

Whenever I start a book, the first thing I think about is hooks. How can I get the reader to get on this ride the quickest way possible? Well, this is where the opening hook comes in. I'm going to share some of mine.

His Unexpected Bride:
The Marquis of Rutledge groaned as his mother dragged yet another young debutante in his direction. Why wasn’t God being merciful? Cold fingers of dread ran up his spine and with a surreptitious glance around the ballroom, he made his escape.

Fallen Into Darkness:
“Screw him.” Wonder Woman planted a hand over her hip, her leg cocked as she thumbed her lasso. The bonfires lining the oceanfront licked at the gold bands on her wrist, waist and forehead matched the burning in Tanya’s eyes.

Bloodlust:
Kira knew the roar of bloodlust. The amphitheatre beyond rose an octave as the iron gate before her opened. Standing in the dark, dank hall of the dome, she perused the line of weapons hanging on the wall.

A Dark Embrace: (wip)
She was going to die. Dante stood at the top of the old warehouse as the chase unfolded beneath him. Flicking back a flap of his trench coat and hooking it over his hip, he crouched. The chill of the winter wind picked up the hem of his jacket, waving it like a dark flag. Under his drifter hat his cheeks burned from the sting of the frigid air that brushed along his face.

My Enemy mine: (wip)
“She’s dangerous this one, but here she is,” the Ambassador said, indicating to a door lining the sterile hall of the prison ship.

A Devil's Passion: (wip)
It was nearing dawn and Simon could see the mists rolling over the gentle sloping hills like a wraith of death. Gusts of air wafted through the fog, rounding and whirling under the temperate wind. There was not a bird singing or an active squirrel in the bushes beyond. Everything was still save some horrid bird whose monotone squawk trumpeted like the Reapers horn.

Now after doing this, I've noticed I have a lot of WIPs. Ugh! I have to work on reducing that number....
--------------oOo--------------


6 Comments:

Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

Those are great opening hooks! I always try and do good ones, but am not really sure they come out as fabulous as I hope :P

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm *okay* at opening hooks, but I suck at ending ones. Thanks for posting yours, I like reading stuff like that. :)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Zinnia said...

Opening hooks can be very tricky. What's even trickier is keeping the reader's attention after a great hook.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Loribelle Hunt said...

Those are great openers, Jodi. Hmm looking through my stuff I see a lot of dialogue openers. I never realized that before lol. And don't feel bad. I have way too many things in progress too!

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Aetna specialty pharmacy Diet pills patent all inclusive discount cruises Disney cruise scrapbook Kitty dress didrex cod available Dose seroquel didrex bontrager J lo xxx clips

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home