A life of love, laughter and romance

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Recapturing my muse and speaking titles

We'll after picking myself off the ground, I am working on a new piece in an attempt to get my rusty writing up to speed. I'm excited about this one because It's a futuristic so it's teaching me new things and allowing my imagination to run wild and free.

And also, because it's going to be a novella that I'm hoping once it gets accepted somewhere I'm going to write a sequel to it. So, as you can see on the side, it's called 'Bloodlust' and although it might not make sense now, once you read it I'm sure it'll clear up somethings. Also it got me to thinking about titles. The ever important title. Your marketing tool that will get people to buy besides the cover and the blurd - the frist thing a reader will see. Is it hard for you to come up with a title? Do titles draw you first or is it something else?

I myself, haven't had too much trouble with titles. I love the creativity of developing one, but it's finding one that is unique that is hard. So here is what I think of when choosing a title:

Steer away from anything with the world 'Love' in it. Love is such a common word used in romance for me it's now 'blech'.

Keep it short and to the point. 3 words max

If you had to describe the premise in your book in 1 or 2 words what would it be. Be creative. Leave out things like: Hot, futuristc, historical (anything that rounds out the genre you're writing in) What is the story like?

Now, do the same with the heroine and hero. In 1 or 2 words describe them.

Ask the characters. Yep I know it sounds wierd but you'll be amazed what they say.

Now put all this together and see what you have.

Now that you've come up with a few, google it.

That's pretty much my method.
--------------oOo--------------


2 Comments:

Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

Ooo is this the one I read? Soo yummy. Looks like you're making progress! I'm making some on my Halloween one right now!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Two Voices Publishing said...

Sorry about the R, Jodie. Time will tell - as long as you keep plugging away you'll find a home for your stories.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home