A life of love, laughter and romance

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My first sting

Well, I found - quite by accident - my first average review of my first MS His Unexpected Bride. And you know what...It wasn't that bad. Although I got 3.5 which makes it a little better than 'Good' by the reviewer, I wasn't upset or anything. I understood that it wasn't my best work and although she sung me some praises, I still accepted it for what the review was: Not terrible, but not great either.

Was I hurt? Nope. Did I care? Depends. I read it with an open mind and in fact expected an average review to come from somewhere. Plus, I'm thankful for the honest review, I can see on the review what failed to capture her and what did work and that is something that I've definately rectified in my other works.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think that book is bad. I just feel that I've grown so much as a writer since then and now can see it for what is was: A very good first time effort. I mean, I got a contract on it so I'm glad for that. I've had readers tell me how much they liked the book and it's a wonderful feeling.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is this: I love a review, no matter what as long as it showcases, what they liked and what they didn't like about the book. I don't like reviews that are just trashing everything without saying what kept them to the end, what redeeming quality the writer had. All in a balance. At the end of the day, a reviewer that is able to find the gems in a book that they didn't really like, is a gem themselves. Because they are really helping out the author in their own way.
--------------oOo--------------


4 Comments:

Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

3.5 isn't bad, it's average just like you said! And you do have a wonderful viewpoint on how to look at it. That's why you'll go far! Congrats on getting another review!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Charli Cole said...

Very true, Jodici. I don't believe a reviewer is a reviewer unless they know how to point out the good and the bad.

And when they point out the bad, they should do so in a very constructive fashion...in a way that aids the author in improving the next time around.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

A 3.5 is a fine grade. It's when you receive a two or three that you need to worry. I like reviews that are constructive and say why the reviewer has marked a book down. If it's a good review I want the reviewer to say why.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Lyric James said...

You do have a great attitude, Jodi. A 3.5 isn't bad and at least the reviewer gave you some constructive criticism you can put towards another book. Hang in there. I'll be getting some reviews this summer I'm sure too and I hope I can be as upbeat as you are.

Lyric :-)

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home