A life of love, laughter and romance

Monday, May 08, 2006

I write like...

Now, I've come across something that got me thinking... When submitting work, some agents want to know whose voice/work you resemble. Now, thinking on this (for my current manuscript) I couldn't come up with any authors...well I haven't come across anything that my work is similar to. Which then made me think harder, I then discovered, my work is a mixture of what I love, action and romance and the fantastic world of fantasy. So in essence my writing isn't like any specific author but an influence of several.

I love reading David Gemmel(Fantasy) and David Morrel(fiction), Matthew Rielly (fiction) and pretty much an eclectic group of romance writers. So whose voice do you consider is most similar to? Or do you (like me) have a voice unique but with vague influences of authors you admire?
--------------oOo--------------


5 Comments:

Blogger Silma said...

Hm... Interesting question. I don't think I've come across someone who sounds like me. It doesn't mean that I'm perfect, mind you. It's just that I have this particular voice. I guess it's because each character has a little part of me in it. A friend of mine recently remarked that she could "hear" me in my characters talk. Weird, uh? *lol*

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kit Wylde said...

Yes, I have seen other new authors describing their work by saying "I write like..." I don't think I write like any one else other than Harlequin romance writers. LOL Perhaps my writing is generic in my mind at the moment and that is why I am struggling with my latest WIP.

By the way, I love the look of your blog. :)

Kit

P.S. I found you through Cali. Isn't she a kick?!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

So whose voice do you consider is most similar to? Or do you (like me) have a voice unique but with vague influences of authors you admire?


Great question! Really great question!

I don't know if my voice is similar to anyone elses...
I do have authors who influence my voice and Toni Morrison is definitely one of them. Other than her...

7:29 PM  
Blogger Charli Cole said...

I've never been one to do much reading...and I credit that to having my own voice within my writing.

I believe the most important thing is to know what type of voice you do have. What are the elements beneath it?

I know my style is dark, supsenseful, sarcastic, and humorous.

I don't steer too far from that.

And I figure...once a writer becomes acquainted with their particluar combination...they will always sound like themself...and no one else.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Try framing it in one of those high-concept pitch things - Sex in the City but with affordable shoes is kinda me.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home